Quantcast

Tastes callia-killka-wines

Published on August 4th, 2015 | by Greg

0

Bodegas Salentein And Callia: Argentina Lights

Learn about wine for a while and you’ll quickly hear about terroir- the concept behind why the same grapes planted in different places can taste completely dissimilar. From the weather to the soil conditions to the elevation, there are innumerable factors that go into a bottle beyond which varietal is inside. And while grapes can grow many areas around the world, specific ones thrive in specific areas- which is how a classic French grape has become so associated with Argentina. Malbec likes sun, with an end result of full, warm wines.

Take those from the Bodegas Salentein, from the province of Mendoza. We’ve been tasting their Portillo Malbec from 2014, a bright, intense classic reading for pairing with red meats. Malbec does well against steak, but don’t shy away from from sipping while you grab a burger. We haven’t visited the Uco Valley in Tunuyán, but now we want to, as the pictures look beautiful- the perfect place for a vineyard and winery. The Killka that we tried is a year older, from 2013, a little softer and sweeter, with a bit less tannin and a bit more structure- ideal for a pasta dinner with red sauce. If white wines are more your speed, Portillo also makes a sauvignon blanc that we liked- it won’t blow anyone away, but is crisp and easy drinking with some bite at the finish that leaves you wanting more.

The Bodegas Callia is a bit different- a sister winery located in San Juan (Tulum Valley, Caucete) that grows some strong Syrah. The low rainfall and humidity, along with incredible amounts of sunshine (330 days a year), makes for dense results, an interesting take on the fruity and flexible grape also known as Shiraz. We tried two- one that is a fairly straightforward Malbec in the Callia Alta and the other that blends it with 60% Syrah (Callia Bella), both from 2014. The latter was actually our favorite from the set, as it balanced a blackberry nose and a green, ripe freshness while providing a satisfying long finish. Best slightly chilled.

Every wine on this list is very reasonably priced- running from $10 to $15 (the Killka being the most pricey). Inexpensive enough to fit any budget, they will also please most palates.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑