Quantcast

Tastes Dry-Line-391

Published on June 14th, 2016 | by Greg

0

South Hollow Dry Line Gin: Cape Cod In A Bottle

Spirits are more than just drinks you can drink straight or mix and enjoy- the very name embodies the idea of capturing an essence. Like fine wines, the best spirits bottle a place and time, allowing you to enjoy a taste of Russia or Puerto Rico in every sip of vodka or rum. Sourcing local ingredients is important to most craft liquor and beer production, and today we’re looking at a small-batch producer from the Northeast that you might not be familiar with, that just launched a new line.

Specifically the Dry Line, a Cape Cod Gin from South Hollow Spirits. Connected to and led by the same folks as Truro Vineyards, they also make a pair of rums, and claim to be the first distillery on Cape Cod since Prohibition. They named the gin after “the juniper-producing Eastern Red Cedar that is only grown east of the 100° Meridian”, and crafted the spirit by fermenting sugar cane juice for three weeks before distilling and then adding a variety of botanicals. There are your usual and fairly traditional orange peel, lemon peel, cardamom, allspice, coriander, orris root, as well as grains of paradise, angelica root, anise and most interesting and appropriate, dried cranberry.

From bottle to nose, it’s clear they put some serious thought into how best to represent Massachusetts generally and the Cape specifically. It looks the part, straight out of a boat during Prohibition, and tastes smooth, a little bright, with less of a cucumber or anise focus than many British gins and a clean, crisp finish. We suggest making up a batch of the Bee’s Knees- combine two ounces of gin with an ounce of lemon juice and an ounce of honey syrup or simple syrup.

At 94 proof, it’s also nice to drink straight and holds up well to some ice, but shines best with a little tonic and a twist of lime. Available in two sizes, expect to spend around $29.99 for 375ml bottle or $44.99 for 750ml bottle.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑