Quantcast

Tastes Adler-Fels_bottles

Published on March 24th, 2017 | by Greg

0

Adler Fels: Affordable California Pinot Noir & Chardonnay

Two of the best American varietals, from one of the best American winemaking regions- today, we’re looking at a wine company that you might not know, but whose California roots run deep. As the snow slowly clears and we move into Spring, it’s time to start thinking about picnics and cheese trays- and the wine pairings to go with them, red or white.

Adler Fels has been making wines for thirty-five years, producing under a variety of labels. But we’ve gotten a chance to try their two most recent releases, straight from the winery, located not far from Sonoma and Napa. The name is German for “Eagle Rock”, and it’s actually part of a larger family, the Adams Wine Group, including Vinesse, Sonoma Estate Vintners, and Royal Oaks. And they’ve clearly put their experience to good use, with some excellent labels and wines that are aimed to grab attention.

We’ll start with the 2014 Pinot Noir, sourced from the prime regions of Santa Rita Hills (76%) and the Russian River Valley (24%). Winemaker Aaron Bader offered a cute quote, that “making good Pinot is both a physical and mental exercise”, and it comes through here- a little classic dark fruit, nice immediate nose with some earth and stone, and a little oak towards the finish. And with only 1500 cases produced, it’s not going to be easy to find for long. It’s priced right too, at $24.99 a bottle, and is a flexible, easy-to-like, approachable Pinot with some solid made-in-the-USA character.

The Adler Fels 2015 Chardonnay comes from an even split of grapes from Russian River Valley and Monterey County, and they produced even less, around 1000 cases total. We’re not fans of the buttery chardonnay style, so it was nice that this was a modern, crisp, slightly fruity take- a little cantaloupe or melon, some apricot, a bit of honey but isn’t sweet and just the right acidity. It pairs easily with fish, cheeses, and can be enjoyed by the glass. At $19.99 a bottle, it’s the sort of wine you can break open at a party and be confident that most everyone will enjoy it- and without worrying about the price tag.

Tags: , , ,

About the Author

Greg dreamed up the idea for the Truly Network while living in Hawaii, which began with a single site called TrulyObscure. In 2010, when advertisers and readers were requesting coverage beyond the scope of that site, TrulyNet was launched, reaching a broader audience over a variety of niche sites. Formerly the head technology correspondent for the Des Moines Register at age 16, he has since lived and worked in five states and two countries, helping a list of organizations and companies that includes the United States Census Bureau, TripAdvisor, Events Photo Group, Berlitz, and Computer Geeks. He also served as the Content Strategy Manager for HearPlanet, a multi-platform app that has reached over a million users and has been featured in the New York Times, Hemispheres Magazine, National Geographic Adventure, Fox Business News, PC Magazine, and even Apple’s own iPhone ads. Greg has written as a restaurant critic and feature journalist for a number of national and international publications, including City Weekend Magazine, Red Egg Magazine, the Newton Daily News, Capital Change Magazine, and an arm of China Daily, Beijing Weekend. In addition, he has served as a consulting editor for the Foreign Language Press of Beijing, as well as a writer and editor for the George Washington University Hatchet, the school newspaper of his alma mater. Originally from Iowa, Greg is currently living in the West Village of Manhattan.

Back to Top ↑